Milind Deora – Congress leader:
- The past few days, Mumbai has been lashed by a torrential downpour. The same intensity would submerge most global cities.
- While hoping everyone’s safe, the fact remains that this is not a one-off incident. Mumbai will receive higher & higher seasonal rainfall.
- The impact of climate change on India’s peninsular coastline will be far more catastrophic than any pandemic.
- We need to develop predictive models & upgrade our defences to make Mumbai climate change ready. This requires leadership, vision & good governance.
- I urge the Maharashtra Government to conduct a comprehensive impact assessment study with a 30-year vision (2050), in order to outline & execute a long-lasting plan for Mumbai.
- Environmental sustainability must precede indiscriminate development.