Hardeep Singh Puri – Union Minister:
- As a child of parents who suffered during India’s ‘Partition 1947’, I am extremely grateful to PM Narendra Modi Ji for declaring August 14 as ‘Partition Horrors Remembrance Day’.
- This will forever be a reminder of the human misery caused by wrong policies of the then Govt.
- My father escaped murderous mobs by the skin of his teeth when he took the last Frontier Mail to India with nothing but the clothes he was wearing.
- Both my parents then suffered & struggled for years. I grew up listening to their experiences.
- The declaration of ‘Partition Horrors Remembrance Day’ when we celebrate Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav is a homage to the struggles & sacrifices of my parents, grandparents & millions of others like them.
- Partition should serve as a lesson that we must not repeat the mistakes of the past & take India on path of ‘Sabka Sath, Sabka Vikas, Sabka Vishwas’ & not on that of appeasement, particularly when volatility in our neighbourhood only seems to have escalated more than ever before.