P Chidambaram, @PChidambaram_IN – Former Union Finance Minister:
Congress is happy that the Central Government has accepted its suggestions made over the last 4 weeks. They are:
- Ramp up testing (though there is still tardiness).
- Allow migrant workers to go to their home states (though government is still non-committal about running point-to-point trains).
- Provide liquidity to mutual funds.
There are many more suggestions made by the Congress that deserve to be accepted by the government forthwith. They are :
- Make cash transfers to the bottom half of the families (13 crore families).
- Provide financial assistance package including wage assistance and credit guarantee to MSMEs.
- Prepare Exit strategy after current lockdown ends on May 3
- Announce a Paycheque Protection Programme for low-salaried tax payers.