P Chidambaram, @PChidambaram_IN – Former Union Finance Minister:
- IMF has given USD 1 billion ADB has committed and will give USD 2.5 billion.
- The money for saving lives AND protecting livelihoods can be found by a) re-allocating budget resources; b) cutting all wasteful and vanity expenditure; c) higher borrowing; and d) monetizing part of the deficit.
- Read my column in the Indian Express and in eight language newspapers on Sunday April 12. Remonetising the poor will cost a maximum of Rs 65,000 crore – absolutely affordable and economically justified.
- CMs should demand that cash be transferred to every poor family immediately. “Remonetise the poor” should be their unanimous demand.
- The poor have lost their jobs or self-employment in the last 18 days. They have exhausted their meagre savings. Many are standing in line for food. Can the State stand by and watch them go hungry?
- Chief Ministers – @capt_amarinder ,@ashokgehlot51, @bhupeshbaghel, @VNarayanasami, @uddhavthackeray, @EPSTamilNadu should tell the Prime Minister today that just as LIVES are important LIVELIHOOD of the poor is important.