Ministry of Health and Family Welfare :
The Centre has advised States and UTs to not let their guard down and maintain their preparedness for fighting COVID19 (and its variants) in view of the new variant Omicron (designated as a Variant of Concern by WHO on 26th November 2021).
Union Health Secretary Rajesh Bhushan reviewed the public health preparedness of the States for fighting COVID19 and the Omicron variant along with progress of vaccination with Health Secretaries and NHM MDs of States and UTs, through video conference (VC) today.
He highlighted the trajectory of COVID and brought attention to temerging evidence on the Omicron variant of COVID-19 driving the growing number of cases worldwide.
- States advised to be vigilant and Monitor Case Positivity, Doubling Rate, Clusters of New Cases across Districts.
- “Observe all precautions; don’t let your guard down”
- Local/District Administration responsible for prompt initiation of Evidence-based Actions for COVID Control & Management.
- States to consider Local Curbs/Restrictions ahead of upcoming festive season.
- Existing National Clinical Management Protocol remains unchanged for Omicron.
- “Full Vaccination protects against Severe Illness and Hospitalization including Omicron; Door-to-door Vaccination to be strengthened”