Dr Harsh Vardhan, @drharshvardhan, Union Minister for Health & Family Welfare :
- Public venting of angst against healthcare service personnel leading to harassment,assault & damage to property is being highlighted daily.Portrayal as potential spreaders of COVID19Pandemic played havoc with the confidence of the medical community which is demanding protection.
- Under the existing Epidemic Diseases Act, 1897 the state governments had powers to take steps to contain the epidemic.The new ordinance proposes concurrent powers to Centre allowing it to take measures incl bus,rail,aircraft etc along with ships.
- As per the new Ordinance to be promulgated, there shall be zero tolerance to any incidents of violence against healthcare service personnel and/or damage to property. All offences of violence will be cognizable and non-bailable.
- Let’s pay homage to our healthcare service personnel, who stay out of home so that we stay safe at home. Harassment & physical violence against them is a cognizable & non-bailable offence.
- In case of grievous hurt, imprisonment of 6 months to 7 years with a fine of Rs 1-5 lakhs has been provided. Investigation of offences to be done within 30 days.
- Commission or abetment of such acts of violence shall be punishable with imprisonment for a term of 3 months to 5 years, with a fine of Rs 50,000 to Rs 2 lakhs. Investigation of offences to be done within 30 days.
- Let’s express our gratitude towards the healthcare service personnel and not harass them. Harassment & physical violence will henceforth be a punishable offence.