Former PM Dr. Manmohan Singh’s message on the birth centenary celebrations of Former PM P V NarasimhaRao :
- I am extremely happy that the Telangana Pradesh Congress Committee is holding year-long birth centenary celebrations of a great son of the soil, our former Prime Minister Late PV NarasimhaRao Ji.
- Govt took office after sad demise of Shri Rajiv Gandhiji. I said “he’s no more but his dream lives on; of ushering India into 21st century; of a strong, united, technologically sophisticated but humane India.” Dedicated budget to his inspiring memory.
- Economic Reforms were preceded by a push in that direction when Shri Rajiv Gandhi was the Prime Minister. Before that Smt. Indira Gandhi, herself was able to grasp the importance of re-orienting our economic policies.
- Politically it was a big question if one could take hard decisions to meet the challenging situation. It was a precariously placed minority Government, which was dependent on outside support for stability.
- He was chosen to become Congress President after assassination of Shri Rajiv ji
- India signed the South Asian Preferential Trade Agreement along with the SAARC countries. “Look East Policy” was also his brainchild to link India with East and South-East Asian countries.
- That was a difficult era in politics. Endowed with a cool temperament and deep political prowess Narasimha Rao ji was always open to debates and discussions. He always tried to take the opposition into confidence.
- PV NarasimhaRao ji left behind an unmatched legacy of being a linguist and a scholar. He was among the first converts to new technology by becoming adept with a computer & proficient with programming as he was always willing to learn new things
- I once again pay my tributes to the memory of a great leader, our former Prime Minister Shri Narasimha Rao Ji, who was a friend, philosopher and guide to me in many ways